Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John Bundy John Bundy is offline

Default VLOOKUP

Are you saying you just need the data up to the first space, or a lookup. In
your example do you just want it to return B650TBG on the first line?
--
-John
is helpful.

"Connie Martin" wrote:

Oops! I think I forgot something important. VLOOKUP will lookup the data in
L1436 in the named range called DLVYTIME (first column) and enter the first
digits/numbers up to the space in SALESTYPE in N1436.

If this is too confusing, ask me to repost. I need this formula, so I will
gladly try to clarify. Thank you. Connie Martin.

"Connie Martin" wrote:

Hopefully, I can explain without too much complexity!

The worksheet that has the columns of data that I want to look up has 4
columns of data. In the 3rd column the data varies widely, but here's a
general example:
B650TBG CB 325X400 STD SET

In another worksheet (of the same workbook), I need a formula, which is
going to start in cell N1436, that will go look up the data in this 3rd
column, which I have named SALESTYPE, and will put in the cell N1436 only the
combination of letters and numbers up to the first space---in this case
B650TBG. This is not consistent, however. The first space could be after
just three digits, as in this example: C91 W 8.875 X6.750 X1.625, in
which case it would only put C91 in cell N1436.

Hope this can be done. Thank you. Connie Martin