Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default Format 2 digit year to 4 digit

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 15:56:00 -0800, RealGomer
wrote:

Thank you for your advice. To me, format means how it looks and works, not
just cosmetic changes. You know, the true meaning of the word.
I'll give your solution a shot. It's a lot easier than trying to get our
software vendor to fix the code. We've been waiting four years for them to
get simple report fixed.
--
I know enuff to be dangerous.

It's helpful to use the same language. That's why I asked.

From Excel HELP: You can use number formats to change the appearance of
numbers, including dates and times, without changing the number behind the
appearance. The number format does not affect the actual cell value that
Microsoft Excel uses to perform calculations. The actual value is displayed in
the formula bar.

In other words, in Excel, which is what we are discussing, format changes the
appearance, but not the content of the cell.

That is why I gave you two different solutions. The Format solution changes
the appearance of the cell; the formula solution gives you a new value to work
with.
--ron