Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Arvi Laanemets Arvi Laanemets is offline

Default New rounding problem in Excel 2003?!?

Hi

"BethP" wrote in message
Thanks for the quick reply. It's so weird that I've never run in to this
before!

If you pull in a list of data with 16-digit numbers, and perform a cell
format to set it all to text, by default it converts to scientific

formula.
Is there a way to keep this from happening without having to concatenate
every line with an apostrophe? (We occasionally pull 1000 row x 30 column
spreadsheets with this kind of data, and it's often by techs who are not

all
that Excel savvy.)

Format the range with original numbers as text.
Into some free column, enter the formula like (it's assumed your numbers are
in column A, when otherwise, adjust the formula)
="" & A2
for cell p.e. X2,
and copy down for entire table.
Select whole range with formulas, and copy it. PasteSpecial it as Values to
original values range.
Delete the helper column.

Arvi Laanemets