Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Cone Jim Cone is offline

Default Sorting Decimals as Numbers

You can use Text to Columns on the Data menu to separate the numbers
into individual cells. Sort and then remove the added data.
Note: make a copy of the column before using Text to Columns.

A commercial alternative, from yours truly, can be found here...
http://www.officeletter.com/blink/specialsort.html
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"NathanP1"

wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that has a unique identifier field containing eight
digit numbers separated by decimals. Each subset references a specific field
on another sheet. I would like to sort by this identifier, but when I do, my
decimals sort improperly (for my current need). They sort in the following
order:
1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1
1.1.1.1.1.1.1.10
1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2
I would like them to sort numerically by the last number. Is there a way to
do this, or an easier way to format this field? Thanks for the help.