Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jon Peltier Jon Peltier is offline

Default How do you skip graphing some data?

This is how NA() or #N/A works in "marker charts" (XY charts, line charts,
and unfilled radar charts) Excel 97-2007. If you think it used to work
differently, you may be thinking of its behavior with a different
combination of lines and markers.

* If the series has markers only and no points, NA() results in a missing
marker corresponding to the missing value.

* If the series has lines, NA() results in a line from the point preceding
the missing value(s) to the point following the missing value(s).

* If the NA() occurs at either end of the data range, there is no line
spanning the gap, because there is a point on only one side of the gap.

* The point corresponding to NA() is not even present, so it has no data
label.

In other types of charts, NA() or #N/A is treated as a zero value, the point
is plotted at zero, and if you have data labels displaying the value of the
point, this point's data label will display "#N/A".

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Kim" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

Is there a way to make missing data not be charted in an excel graph?

What I mean is... if my data set is as follows:

Jan 3
Feb 0
Mar 2
Apr 5
May No data
Jun No data
Jul 2
etc

How do I make it graph Jan to Apr and Jul but make the May and June
points not appear on the chart at all.

I used to be able to do this by putting #N/A for May and June but now
it actually graphs the points as #N/A rather than completely ommitting
them (which is what I want).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Kim