Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
maysi01 maysi01 is offline

Default How can I get Excel to open a document in a new Window ? NEW QUEST

Office 2003. This was asked before, but the answer was for a different
question and (strangely) the questioner was happy. I really don't care about
icons in my task bar. I want each spreadsheet in a DIFFERENT WINDOW. So
that when I close one, ONLY THAT DOCUMENT IS CLOSED/SAVED. Another answer
gave me one way to do this: force separate instances of Excel with
Start-Run-"Excel", but now I have to navigate through (say) 15 directories
to find each document to open instead of just double-clicking. EVERY TIME I
have multiple documents open and attempt to close one of them by clicking the
go-away box on the Window (yes I know I can use the go-away box on the
sub-pane for the document, but this is different from EVERY OTHER PIECE OF
SOFTWARE IN EXISTENCE, so I always forget), the Save/Abandon question
probably actually refers to a non-current document, but I ALWAYS miss this,
because logically, it is the current document in front of me, and I don't
want to be asked questions about other documents. The result is that I lose
changes almost every time I have multiple documents open. Word uses this
paradigm, and Excel can physically do it, but can it be configured to do it
by default (when I double-click on the second .xls file) ?