Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
[email protected] martin_pentreath@hotmail.com is offline

Default Calculating sum based on value in adjacent column

Hi, I'm trying to find the right function to achieve the following
objective.

I have two columns, each about fifty rows long. One is a list of names:
there are only eight different names, each of which occurs multiple
times. The adjacent column contains a list of numerical values. What I
want to do is to find the total of all the numerical values next to a
particular name - for example the total of all the sales figures
achieved by Jane.

I've been trying to do this with the IF function, but I don't think
this is going to work. There must be another function or technique
which I'm missing. Sorry if it's a FAQ, I couldn't find anything on it.