View Single Post
  #9   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
external usenet poster

Default Basic IF function help needed

It might be a good idea to look in Excel's help for the ABS() function...

--
Regards,
Luc.

"Festina Lente"

"jbclem" wrote:

Thanks all for the help. I did finally find the accent grave, just where it's supposed to be. And have also learned to use = for identifying a formula in a cell (sorry, but I just switched from Quattro Pro9 where you don't need to use the = ). I had also figured out that the L wouldn't work and had switched it with a number, but I'll try using "L" which would be much better for my situation.

Best regards,

jc

"jbclem" wrote in message ...
I'm using Excel 2002 for the first time and trying to place a function into a cell. I 'm using IF(N44=L, M44-L44, L44-M44) .
Which is supposed to mean If the letter L is in cell N44, then subtract number in L44 from number in M44. Otherwise subtract M44 from L44.

If have 2 main questions...First, how to get the result of the function to show. Right now I see the function typed out in the cell, but no result. Help files say use CNTL and + and accent grave. Unfortunately, my english keyboard has no accent grave, so I'm stumped right there. I haven't found another way to get the results to show.

Second...can I use the letter L in N44 to trigger this function, or does it have to be another number?

Any suggestions?

jc