Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
willcozz willcozz is offline

Default Calculating Median Value in a large array

I agree, it works for most columns in the table, but not for all. Could be a
cell that Excel is interpreting as non-numeric. The data is an export from a
brio query I had run and I'm using Excel to organize the data.

"T. Valko" wrote:

It doesn't make sense that your Median formula returns a blank.

=MEDIAN(A1:A10)

Should return *something*, either a number or an error but not a blank.

To find the smallest value 0:

=SMALL(A1:A10,COUNTIF(A1:A10,0)+1)

Biff

"willcozz" wrote in message
I am trying to calculate the median value in a column of 51500 values,
doing
so once for 83 separate columns. The formula =MEDIAN(array point 1:array
point 51500) works fine for most of the columns, but for others the system
returns a blank cell. There are data points in those arrays, so the blank
cell is confusing. Is there a way to instruct the system to look only at
the
values with a whole number in the cell and to calculate the median from
that
portion of the array, without sorting the column or modifying it?

Another approach would be to ask the system to return the MIN value. The
problem there lies in the fact that the system always presents zero as the
minimum, because is is. However to do the median calculation above I need
the smallest value above 0 in the array, is there a way to instruct the
system to present the smallest value above 0 in an array.