Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Lyndy Lou Lyndy Lou is offline

Default V look up and data that goes out when copied in range

Hi I have a SS that calculates points automatically for athletics based on
times/distances etc
I use the following Vlookup to look up the time and then return the points
=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($I15,Tables!$G:$H,2,FALSE)),0,VLO OKUP($I15,Tables!$G:$H,2,FALSE))
This works fine for most events but where I have run into a problem is I
have tested on small amount of data but now have the real thing to add. The
1500metres has been created by someone else using a time function to display
the correct time. I have worked around this by using 4 decimal places eg
5.0934 (effectively 5.09.34) . There are 21,000 entries that I need to
convert and have done this by using custom format ??.???? What happens (even
with out this format) is that I can only copy 20 lines by highlighting 3
times to increase using that pattern. After 20 it starts adding more than 4
places eg
4.4420 is starting time goes through with 4 places until 4.44429999999999.
The lookup can't find the time if it is more than 4 dp. I don't want to have
to go through and 21,000 highlighting 20 at a time.
Is there anyway I can get rid of the extra digits and have only 4 dp.I am
not experienced with programming.

Many thanks in advance Lyn