Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
vezerid vezerid is offline

Default Weighted Average of positive and negative %

JK,
Having followed the discussion so far:

First, I think you need a geometric mean and not a harmonic mean. If
you have growth rates in B1:B6 then the geometric mean would be the
following *array* formula:
=PRODUCT(1+B1:B6)^(1/ROWS(B1:B6))-1

More simply, it can also be produced with GEOMEAN (again *array*):
=GEOMEAN(1+B1:B6)-1

Then, if this is x, the end value should be equal to
=StartValue*(1+x)^ROWS(B1:B6)

A variant of this formula could possibly be used for weighted geometric
mean but I am at a loss as to what your "weights" imply. Also I cannot
understand what you mean when you say:
I have the following numbers and corresponding growth rates

If you are tracking a single time period, have different amounts (e.g.
like in a portfolio) and ask what is the yield of the portfolio then
negative numbers should not be a problem. Also in this case there is
no issue for Geometric mean. The yield would be:

=SUMPRODUCT(A1:A6,1+B1:B6)/SUM(A1:A6)-1

Does either suit you?

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

JK wrote:
Thanks for the answer - this helps a lot. So how would I calculate the
weighted harmonic mean of the data set above?

Dave F wrote:
If you use the absolute value of -3.3% then you are essentially implying a
growth rate of POSITIVE 3.3%. If that's your intent, then use the absolute
value. Else, use the relative values shown.

I'm not sure why you would want to use absolute values for a weighted
average when some of your data shows negative growth rates. Also, as for the
issue of weighting rates--typically, average rates are calculated with the
harmonic mean, not the arithmetic mean:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_mean

Dave

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

" wrote:

I have the following numbers and corresponding growth rates:

A B
1 4197 7.90%
2 4114 8.30%
3 1885 0.50%
4 624 10.50%
5 1051 -3.30%
6 216 16.20%

My problem is the negative growth rate of -3.30% - I want to calculate
the weighted average growth rate and get the following results for the
respective formulas:

=SUMPRODUCT(A1:A6,B1:B6)/SUM(A1:A6) = 6.2%

=SUMPRODUCT(A1:A6,ABS(B1:B6))/SUM(A1:A6) = 6.8%

Do I need the ABS() function or not? Which would be the correct result?

Thanks!
JK