Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jerry W. Lewis Jerry W. Lewis is offline

Default Weighted Average of positive and negative %

=SUM(weights)/SUMPRODUCT(weights,1/data)

This will return #DIV/0 if even one observation in data is zero. If a
single observation is very close to zero, that observation will tend to
dominate all of the other data in the harmonic mean. Are you sure that is
appropriate?

Jerry

"JK" wrote:

Thanks for the answer - this helps a lot. So how would I calculate the
weighted harmonic mean of the data set above?

Dave F wrote:
If you use the absolute value of -3.3% then you are essentially implying a
growth rate of POSITIVE 3.3%. If that's your intent, then use the absolute
value. Else, use the relative values shown.

I'm not sure why you would want to use absolute values for a weighted
average when some of your data shows negative growth rates. Also, as for the
issue of weighting rates--typically, average rates are calculated with the
harmonic mean, not the arithmetic mean:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_mean

Dave

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

" wrote:

I have the following numbers and corresponding growth rates:

A B
1 4197 7.90%
2 4114 8.30%
3 1885 0.50%
4 624 10.50%
5 1051 -3.30%
6 216 16.20%

My problem is the negative growth rate of -3.30% - I want to calculate
the weighted average growth rate and get the following results for the
respective formulas:

=SUMPRODUCT(A1:A6,B1:B6)/SUM(A1:A6) = 6.2%

=SUMPRODUCT(A1:A6,ABS(B1:B6))/SUM(A1:A6) = 6.8%

Do I need the ABS() function or not? Which would be the correct result?

Thanks!
JK

ExcelBanter Database Error
Database Error Database error
The ExcelBanter database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.excelbanter.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.excelbanter.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.