Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Elkar Elkar is offline

Default change a string of numbers in to number format

Did you use a formula to extract these numbers? (RIGHT, LEFT, MID, etc...)
If so, then the returned value is probably text, regardless of how the cell
is formatted. To get around this, try placing your formula inside the
VALUE() function. Something like:

=VALUE(RIGHT(A1,2))

This will convert the text to a number, then your cell formatting should be
applied correctly.

HTH,
Elkar

"Debi" wrote:

I have pulled numbers out of a string that I imported and cannot get it to
format when I chose number with a comma and red for credits in the pull down
format cells menu.
Is there a funtion that would make formating the numbers possible?