Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rookie 1st class Rookie 1st class is offline

Default 400 students to grade, so little time...

I thought the same Andmor until I read how many divisions you want. 2003 and
below is limited to 7 nested if statements (8 conditions). Your example has 6
conditions for just A & B.

Supposing average is entered in cell A1
in B1
=if(A1=90,"A",if(A1=80,"B",if(A1=70,"C",if(A1= 60,"D",if(<=50,"F",)))))
once formula is satisfactory fill down for all cells.

comma and ) placement are inportant, Must go from highest to lowest in this
case (lowest is always met). The example should get you started.
Lou

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Look in the help index for LOOKUP. There is a good example

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Andmor" wrote in message
I"ve collected all the marks for some 400 students and wished to convert
them
from percentials into letter grades. Here is the breakdown for the letter
grades:

90 A+
85 - 89 A
80 - 84 A-
77 - 79 B+
74 - 76 B
70 - 73 B-
etc...

Now i have my percentages starting in L6 and would like to have the letter
grades starting @ M6.

I was thinking a nested if statement? please help!

--
A.