Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Person Person is offline

Default correlating data from different worksheets - toughie?

Harlan Grove wrote:
Person wrote...
. . . Some of the worksheets contain data in this format:

(Region) (Subregion) (Amount)
1 2 $100
1 2 $400
1 3 $1000
2 1 $300

That is, each region (1 through whatever) contains several
subregions. Every row represents one transaction

Let's call this table TRANS.

There is another worksheet in this workbook, with the following columns:

Manager__Region__Subregion
1________ 1_______ 2
1________ 1_______ 3
2________ 2_______ 1

That is, the second worksheet is basically a lookup table that tells
me which region/subregion each manager has control over. Most
managers control more than one region/subregion.

Call this MRSR.

The Goal: what I'm supposed to do is to fill in a summary worksheet
having the following format (5 columns):

(Manager)(# Trans.) (Amount < $500)(Amount $500-100) (Amount 1000)

That is, I'm supposed to use the lookup table to find out which
manager controls which region & subregion, then summarize the data
by saying how many transactions a given manager has overseen, and
indicating what percentage of that manager's transactions were less
than $500, between $500-$1,000, and greater than $1,000 (by number
of transactions, not by total dollar value).

[snip suggested solution]

Thanks so much - this is awesome - if I may, one quick question - if
the data that makes up TRANS (the transactions) is located on more
than one worksheet, will this solution still work? Can I name a
range TRANS that is composed of data that lives in different
worksheets? Hopefully I have not misunderstood your reply.