Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernard Liengme Bernard Liengme is offline

Default maximum difference

Use =MAX(A1:A300-B1-B300) but completed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER (not just
ENTER)to make it an array formula. Unclear from question if you want A1-B1
or B1-A1, so adjust formula as needed.
If you want the absolute max (regardless of sign) use
=MAX(ABS(A1:A300-B1-B300))
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Dan" wrote in message
I have two columns of data, say in column A and B. I would like to find
the
maximum relative difference between the values in A1 & B1 vs. A2 and B2
vs.
A3 and B3 etc... Each column may have up to 300 entries. My simplistic
way
to do this is to subtract the two numbers in a third column and then find
the
max of this column. Is there another way to do this with a single formula
or
function without an intermediate step such as creating the extra column?
Thanks.