Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
rtremblay rtremblay is offline

Default Clean non printable characters and replace with space

Tried that and it doesn't work because it doesn't recognize char 127. Only
when you add the clean function does it take out char 127 but I cannot figure
out how to replace it with a space.

"Laura Cook" wrote:

=SUBSTITUTE(A5,CHAR(127)," ")

--
HTH,
Laura Cook

"rtremblay" wrote in message
When I use the formula to get rid of char 127 I want to replace it with a
space. Is there a way to modify the formula below to accomplish this.
Currently this takes char 127 out then replaces it with char 7 then the
clean
function removes char7.

=CLEAN(SUBSTITUTE(A5,CHAR(127),CHAR(7))) Replaces the nonprinting DEL
character (ASCII value of 127) with a BEL character (ASCII value of 7) by
using the SUBSTITUTE function, and then removes the BEL character from the
string "MN987" (MN987)