Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike Rogers Mike Rogers is offline

Default Formating 24hr Clock, but not as time!!

SpencerMC

Proceed your entry with an apostrophy. " ' " (Without the quotes) You will
see it in the formula bar but not on your sheet nor in print.

Mike Rogers

"SpencerMC" wrote:

I have a column in my worksheet that users enter their start time in 24hr
clock (military time) e.g. 1830 or 0700

If I format the column using any of the time formats, I get various results
since Excel treats the entry as a value and converts this into a time (never
really understood this).

However, I don't need to do any calucalution with these times; it's
effectively just there as text. So when users enter 1830 it stays as 1830. So
far so good. However if they enter something with a preceeding 0, such as
0630, Excel removes the first zero and it becomes 630. In a list of 24hr
times this looks odd and will confuse people.

So any suggestions? I just want users to enter 24hr times and for them to be
formated as such (as text or otherwise!) Cheers.