Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Novice Novice is offline

Default problems with if function

Hi, this worked as long as I put in a value larger than 0. In this case I
changed your example to IF(COUNT(A1:B1)<0.01,"",B1/A1) so I could use it for
basically all values. However, if I write IF(COUNT(A1:B1)<0,"",B1/A1) I
still get #VALUE!

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi

It sounds as though you have a space character in A1 or B1 or Both.
Do you have a formula in them which is set to return a Null if false?
If so, this formula may be incorrect. For example in A1
=IF(D5=50,5,"") may have been wrongly entered as =IF(D5=50,5," ")

You could amend your formula to
=IF(COUNT(A1:B1)<2,"",B1/A1)
which will work whether there are spaces or nulls in A1 and B1

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"novice" wrote in message
I would like c1 to display b1/a1 if a1 and b1 not empty but would like
c1 to
remain empty if nothing in a1 and b1

the following works but only if there is a value in a1 and b1.
=IF(AND(A1="", B1=""),"", B1/A1)

if a1 and b1 empty c1 shows hashkey value!

what am I doing wrong