Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Thomlinson Jim Thomlinson is offline

Default Contiguous Line Count

You could use

=row()

Which will return the row number that the formula is in. When you insert a
new row and the other rows shift down they will re-number themselves. You
will then just need to copy the formula down one row to fill the appropriate
cell in the blank row just added...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"tommcbrny" wrote:

Hello,

I have a list in MS Excel where column A is the priority for the item
described in th row. Periodically, new items come up that are higher in
priority than some or all other items in the list.

Can I number column A so that all priority numbers adjust automatically when
lines are inserted (or deleted).

For instance, I have items 1-10 existing. I insert a new item between
current items 3 and 4. The new item should become item 4, with all following
items incrementing by 1 (old 4 becomes 5, 5 becomes 6, etc).

Thanks,

Tom