Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Fiona Fiona is offline

Default How to not count cells which contain a formula that returns "

Dear Alok, the formula is not work as well. Here's what I want to do for your
ref.:

Firstly, assuming all cells contain formulas. Some of them will display as a
value and some of them will display as " ".

Column A
Row 1 May
Row 2
Row 3 Alice
Row 4
Row 5 Fiona

I want the result to be 3 but now is 5.

Kindly help!
Regards
Fiona

"Alok" wrote:

Try
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A20<""))

"Fiona" wrote:

Thanks Alan. Actually, I tried countif as well. Btw, I want the result is to
count the non-blank cells rather than the blank cells and because the blank
cells actually contain formulas, so it doesn't allow me to ignore the blank
cells. I tried to use countif(A1:A20,<" ") but unsuccessful too. Hope you
can find another solution for me, thanks!

Regards, Fiona

"Alan" wrote:

You want to count all the cells in a range that are "" if I understand
correctly,
=COUNTIF(A1:A20,"")
Obviously adjust the range to suit your needs,
Regards,
Alan.
"Fiona" wrote in message
I would like to count a column which contains formulas, some of them return
values and some of them return " "(blank). I need to count for those
return
values and I tried to use counta but unsuccessful. Could someone pls help?
Thanks in advance!
Q from Fiona