Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RealmSteel RealmSteel is offline

Default Opening a Word template from excel

What I am trying to create is a Request for information log.

My ultimate solution is as follows:
When cell A2 is clicked, it will change it's value to the next consecutive
number from the cell above. B2 would then have the date inserted into it. A
Word template file would open and automatically save as a .DOC with "RFI-"
and the number from A2. The Word file can be edited and then just saved. A
hyperlink would then be created in C2 allowing you to open that word file
later to view it.

At the very least, I'd like to be able to click cell...say D2 and open the
word template file to where when Save is selected it will allow you to save
as a DOC file without having to change the file type. It seems when I use a
hyperlink to the template and hit save, it will just overwrite the template.
I changed the template to read only, but it still tries to save as a templete
type file. The hyper link seems to open the template file differently than
dbl-clicking it in windows explorer.

Sorry it's soo long of a question.
Rich