JE McGimpsey

Sounds like you entered "My Documents" as your "Alternate startup file
location" folder in Tools/Options/General...

In article ,
Glenn Reschke wrote:

Each time Excel is opened, multiple files open in Excel. Some fo these
files
are .xls, .lwp (Lotus WordPro), .dbf, you name it but all of them are
in the My Documents directory on my root hard drive (I have two C: is
the base if you will and D: is for storage mostly.

There are no
links are macros associated with any of these files. I just want to
open
Excel and see a blank workbook. I recently was upgraded to Office 2003
but
also have a brand new box. So all files were created in Office 2000
with
WIN2K as OS. Now I have 2003 with WINXP as OS. Any suggestions? Bear
in mind I can't even stop the files they just keep opening up by
themselves and would until RAM was exhausted. I can't get a clean
sheet to go into Tool/Options or go to the Genral Tab under Options the
At startup, open those
all files was populated instead of the default file location box. I can
only close them all down via the TaskManager.

I've also deleted every file in the XLStart directories for all of them
associated with Office.

I saw one post that said, "I guess there are some files in XLStart
directory. Excel opens every file in XLStart directory each time it
starts.
Search your computer for XLStart and look in to the found directories.

Also In Options menu, General Tab, Open every file on startup in
directory (could be similar to this. I have non-english version)
TextBox should be empty unless if you do not use." That would be great
but again let me be clear I can't access any menu option at all.
Period. Help!!!