Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tfrentz tfrentz is offline

Default automate row insert to archive

The stock prices are updated via the MSNStockQuote function add-in. One
click of the 'Update Quotes' on the toolbar will update all the stock prices,
and this will update the total.

I haven't ran into missed days, but I guess the answer is I don't care if I
happen to miss a day. Obviously, Saturday's and Sunday's the markets are
closed, so no updates take place. So on Monday's, there would be two missing
dates for the weekend. I guess, I could manually calculate the stock prices
using historical data, and then add them up and insert a manual entry to the
Database, but this isn't of prime importance. The only important thing to me
is that the balance is current on the Database as I want to use these numbers
to later track my portfolio performance over different time periods.

Hope that makes it clear, and thanks for your help.

"Martin Fishlock" wrote:

How do you update your stock quotes sheet?

What happens if you miss a day? Ie you run it on a monday and then on a
wednesday?

There are couple of ways to do it but I will give my comments after comment
on the above.
--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock

"tfrentz" wrote:

I need some help automating a row insert from one sheet to a second sheet. I
think a macro is needed, but I'm not sure how to set one up as I've never
worked with them, nor do I know how to program it. I'd appreciate a little
help setting up the macro.

Basically, I retrieve my stock quotes into the Quote sheet, and it updates a
total amount. I want to archive the current date and amount to a Database
sheet. But there is an important twist. If there is already a row inserted
in the Database sheet with the same date, then I only want to update the
amount, not insert another row. Once the current date changes, then it is
okay to insert another row.

This is my data. Sheet Quote has the total amount. The amount is dynamic
and will change whenever my stock quotes update the prices of the securities.
Stock Price Amount
IBM $91.45 15000
MSFT $29.48 20000
------ -------- -------
Total 35000

Sheet Database stores the current date and current balance on the last row,
as well as archived dates and balances going back in time. Only the last row
with the current date is to be updated. The data is sorted in ascending date
as you can see.
Date Amount
11/24/06 30000
11/25/06 33000
11/26/06 34000
11/27/06 35000 ** This row can be updated multiple times
or a new row inserted below if date changes