Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default Text to Numbers NOT working

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 08:38:02 -0800, BON wrote:

Hi,

I'm using Excel 2003. I have imported a table of data using cut and paste.

The numerical data reports back as TYPE = 2 i.e. text.

I have tried all the techniques outlined on this forum and the knowledge
base and none appear to work.

So I have use the copy/paste special with a copied number (0 or 1, Add or
Multiply)
I have used Data/Text to Columns etc. etc.

Any ideas?

regards,
bon

I assume you have an entry that looks like a number, but you cannot convert to
text, and that there are no non-numeric characters visible in the cell.

Try this formula:

=--TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(160),""))

where A1 is the cell reference you wish to convert.

Imported HTML data frequently has a <nbsp (no break space) appended.

The above will remove it.

If that doesn't work, post back and I will post a VBA method.

--ron