Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Patrick R Patrick R is offline

Default Drop-Down List Choice Affects Multiple Cells?

So I've pretty much learned by myself what I need to do.

Now here's the current predicament, which may or may not be too different
than my original problem. I'm having a hard time remembering anything, as it
is three in the morning.

I have a drop-down menu. It's name is BAREBONE_SETUP_CHOICE. Here's the
formula in the data validation list bit whatever:

=OFFSET(barebone_setup_list,0,0,COUNTA(barebone_se tup_list+1),1)

So, what that does, is takes whatever the user selects and goes to
BAREBONE_SETUP_LIST, which is the list that BAREBONE_SETUP_CHOICE refers to,
and looks one to the right of whatever the user selected in the drop-menu.
Okay. If the user selects "Budget" then the reference cell contains this
formula:

=OFFSET(INDEX(Case_Table[Price],MATCH(MIN(Case_Table[Price]),Case_Table[Price],0)),0,-2)

Case_Table is the table of cases that the list CASE_CHOICE refers to. This
thing finds the cheapest case, and puts it in that cell. Neat.

So, just for kicks, the cell next to the drop menu, BAREBONE_SETUP_CHOICE,
contains this:

=IF(ISBLANK(BAREBONE_SETUP_CHOICE),"
",VLOOKUP(BAREBONE_SETUP_CHOICE,barebone_setup_tab le,2,FALSE))

So it looks up whatever the user selected, and puts in that cheapest case I
was talking about.

NOW. What I want is for the list, CASE_CHOICE, which has a list of the
cases, to flip to the cheapest case when BAREBONE_SETUP_CHOICE is set to
"Budget." I don't want a dynamic list or whatever, I've read about that all
night. Not what I'm talking about. The list is already in place, everything
with it is cool, I just want it to flip to the specified case.

If that can't be done, then is there a way I can change the CASE_CHOICE cell
from a list to a normal cell when Budget is selected?

If you've read this far and you haven't had an aneurysm from the sheer
amount of confusing syntax and nonsensical ranting, you're amazing and I
thank you.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

There is an example here

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
(Remove ^^ from email)

"Patrick R" <Patrick wrote in message
Okay. So.

I have this worksheet that has a bunch of data validation drop-down lists.
Each list has a certain type of computer part in it, so the first list is
bunch of cases, the second list is a bunch of motherboards, and so on.
Each
list has about three or four different makes, brands, models, etc, of that
part.

To the side, there's a couple columns, Price, S&H, Notes, Link, Number of
Reviews, and % of Reviews that are 5-Star. So, right now as it stands,
I'm
using VLOOKUP so that when you select an item in the list, all of the data
the right changes accordingly, referring to data on a different
spreadsheet
called Database.

What I want to do right now is enable a list of preset configurations. So
at the top of the list of parts, there would be a drop-down menu with
items
such as "Budget," "Mid," and "High-End," referring to the different
computer
builds. I want it so when the user selects from the list, the rest of the
parts change accordingly. So if they clicked Budget, every computer
part's
drop-down list would go to the cheapest item as determined by the price.

Really hard to explain with images...which I could make, upload, and link
if that's okay.

As it stands, the Configuration list is in cell C7. The Case drop-down
list
is C11, Motherboard C13, CPU C15, and so on. The price for the currently
selected Case is F11, Motherboard F13, CPU F15.

If there's not a way for Excel to determine which item on the list has the
lowest price, is there a way to make it so that I specify which items are
selected when the user selects Budget from the Configuration list?

Thanks a ton, I know my question is confusing!