Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David Jones David Jones is offline

Default Using a variable to represent the pathname in a formula

Yes that is an option, however I would prefer using a UNC address as I will
be maintaining both a live and development copy of the spreadsheets and
would prefer to simply change a variable rather than remapping a drive.

thanks for your comments.

"Dallman Ross" <dman@localhost. wrote in message
In , David Jones
spake thusly:

I need to refer to the master spreadsheet using a
variable. For example, if the master spreadsheet is located at
\\server\share\folder1\folder2, I need to be able to set this
location to a variable, call it location, and then in my "child"
spreadsheets be able to enter something like

='location\[spreadsheet.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1

Can't you just map the path to a drive letter in your operating
system (which seems to be Windows)? From the Windows Explorer with
the directory highlighted, click on the Tools menu and and select
"Map Network Drive".

-dman-