Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier Roger Govier is offline

Default extract word function

Hi

It is the number 3 in Luc's formula that you would need to amend, to the
number of words you wanted.
It might be easier to refer to another cell, e,g D1, and enter the
number of words required in that cell.
A single change of value here would save having to keep modifying the
formula. If B1 were left blank, then it would pick up all of the text
from A1

=LEFT( TRIM( A1 ),
IF( ISERR(
SEARCH( " ", SUBSTITUTE( TRIM( A1 ), " ", " ", $D$1 ) ) ),
LEN( A1 ),
SEARCH( " ", SUBSTITUTE( TRIM( A1 ), " ", " ", $D$1 ) )- 1 )
)

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Dinesh" wrote in message
Thanks a lot. What criteria do I change if I want to extract 2 words
or 4
words from this formula?

"Dinesh" wrote:

Is their a function to extract first 3 words from a text string?

Thanks.

Dinesh Shah