Gord Dibben

Select the column and InsertNameDefine

In the "refers to" box delete the sheetname portion so's it looks like this

=!A:A

Give it a name of FY_2003 and OK.

This name will refer to column A on each sheet in the workbook.

Same for selecting a row and naming.

=!1:1 and name it Inventory

Then on any sheet =FY_2003 Inventory will return what is entered in A1 of
that sheet.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:28:29 -0500, "mr unreliable"
wrote:

hi Group,

I have named the columns of my first wksht as FY_2003, FY_2004, etc.

That works fine.

But, when I go to use those column names in a second worksheet,
it refers back to the first worksheet.

I am using the names as a way to specify the "intersection" of a
row column (maybe not the right terminology), such as
"Inventory FY2000".

That formulation is working on sheet one, but gives an error on
sheet two.

I tried a "3D" definition, i.e., 'sheet1:sheet2'|$D;$D, which was
accepted by xl, but then the "intersection" failed. I suppose it was
expecting a column there instead of something with a "3D" aspect.

I would be grateful for any help. jw

p.s., I suppose I could just re-define the columns as separate names
for each sheet, but that strikes me as "ugly", and ought to be
unnecessary.