Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
OC OC is offline

Default Holiday rules for Memorial Day Dates

This was the info I was looking at and hadn't even really gotten a chance to
study it. It's from:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/easter.html

Computing the Date of Easter
The rule is that Easter is the first Sunday after the first ecclesiastical
full moon that occurs on or after March 21. The lunar cycles used by the
ecclesiastical system are simple to program. The following algorithm will
compute the date of Easter in the Gregorian Calendar system.

The algorithm uses the year, y, to give the month, m, and day, d, of Easter.
The symbol * means multiply.

Please note the following: This is an integer calculation. All variables are
integers and all remainders from division are dropped. For example, 7 divided
by 3 is equal to 2 in integer arithmetic.

c = y / 100
n = y - 19 * ( y / 19 )
k = ( c - 17 ) / 25
i = c - c / 4 - ( c - k ) / 3 + 19 * n + 15
i = i - 30 * ( i / 30 )
i = i - ( i / 28 ) * ( 1 - ( i / 28 ) * ( 29 / ( i + 1 ) )
* ( ( 21 - n ) / 11 ) )
j = y + y / 4 + i + 2 - c + c / 4
j = j - 7 * ( j / 7 )
l = i - j
m = 3 + ( l + 40 ) / 44
d = l + 28 - 31 * ( m / 4 )

For example, using the year 2010,
y=2010,
c=2010/100=20,
n=2010 - 19 x (2010/19) = 2010 - 19 x (105) = 15, [see note above
regarding integer calculations]
etc. resulting in Easter on April 4, 2010.

"OC" wrote:

Thanks Jim and Sandy
It's funny because I didn't even think the 5 related to May because Easter
is always in Mar or April. I thought it was trying to divide by 5 and I
didn't understand the "". Mixing text and numbers wasnt making any sense to
me. It works for the next five years that I checked.

"Jim Cone" wrote:

Out here in the colonies, I had to switch the position of
the month and day for it to work. No, I haven't figured it out yet.
=FLOOR("5/"&DAY(MINUTE(A1/38)/2+56)&"/"&A1,7)-34
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Sandy Mann"
wrote in message
Sorry OC, I should have said. A1 contains the year as a plain number ( ie
2006 or 2007 etc) therefore Easter in 2078 will be on April 3rd.
I just can't wait to see if it is right! <g
Actually George only said that it was correct up to 2078. I don't know if
that was only as far as he went but it agrees with a Easter calculator that
I found on the net for the year 3050.
--
HTH
Sandy

with @tiscali.co.uk

"OC"
wrote in message
Sandy,
What would go in A1? I've been playing around with it and can't get
anything to work. Got any ideas?

Thanks,
OC