Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
OC OC is offline

Default Holiday rules for Memorial Day Dates

Sandy,
What would go in A1? I've been playing around with it and can't get
anything to work. Got any ideas?

Thanks,
OC

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

"OC" wrote in message

got to Memorial Day and Easter. I decided to scrap Easter due to it being
based on the lunar cycle, had no idea how to calculate that one.

You and me both but here is a post by the late George Simms from 4 Dec 2000:

Start of George's Post
Hi Anthony,

This formula was by Thomas Jansen from Germany. It came second in a contest
to find the shortest formula to calculate the date for Easter Sunday for
any year between 1900 to 2078. You will need to ask him the "how" and
"why" it works.

The winning formula was by Norbert Hetterich from Germany with :

=FLOOR(DAY(MINUTE(A1/38)/2+56)&"/5/"&A1,7)-34

Again I don't know how and why it works, but it does.

The contest was run by Hans Herber http://www.herber.de

BTW. I came 20th (Last) <bg

All the Best

George Simms