Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMB JMB is offline

Default Linking Worksheets and Lookup

More on VLOOKUP here.
http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html

Are the codes and definitions all in one table (ie the codes in column A and
the definitions in column B). Unless you're using Office 2007, there are
only 65536 rows and you said you had 68080 codes to look up (unless there are
duplicates or you are using Office 2007-you may need two tables).

"braitman" wrote:

Folks:

Much appreciate any help out of this situation.

I have a worksheet that contains ten columns of data with 6,608 cells
in each column. Each cell is a mixed value of number + text (example:
03510.mp3).

In the same workbook I have another worksheet that contains columns
that provide the key to those mixed values. One column is the mixed
values (03510.mp3) and the adjacent column provides the definition in
text (example: Ray Bradbury).

What I want to do is have all 68,080 cells in the first worksheet look
up the key in the second worksheet and extract the key definition text.

I want the text definition added to my first worksheet (the one with
68,080 cells), so that I can identify each one of the values with its
text definition.

How do I do this?

I know enough to get in trouble because I've gone down the road of
trying to set up a formula that combines VLOOKUP with [WorkbookName]
linking. However, it's not working, so I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks for any illumination you can send my way!

Stephen