Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
macropod macropod is offline

Default Excel AM/PM Formatting

Touché!

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"daddylonglegs" wrote in message
You can convert

01:45:01PM in cell A1

to a time with

=REPLACE(A1,9,0," ")+0

format as hh:mm:ss

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Coolkat,

Provided there's a space between the time and the AM/PM, Excel's

TIMEVALUE
function will convert a '01:45:01 PM' string to a value that Excel can
interpret as a time. For example:
=TIMEVALUE(A1)

If your imported data lacks the required space, a SUBSTITUTE function

can
fix that. For example:
=TIMEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"AM"," AM"),"PM"," PM"))

In either case, you can then format the result to display as '13:45:01'

via
Format|Cells|Time.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

I have a Crystal Reporting database that generates sign in and sign

out
times for call centre staff, which I can export into Excel. The

problem
is that once the time exceeds 12 noon it formats it as PM (in the
12hour clock format) instead of PM in the 24hours clock format.

Eg.
Sign In time Sign Out Time

09:47:13AM 01:45:01PM

How can I get excel to convert this time (as above) to show 13:45:01

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Coolkat