Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dallman Ross Dallman Ross is offline

Default Auto-filter question

In , Dave Peterson
spake thusly:

If you apply the filter to just column C and filter to show/hide
something based on that column, then entire rows are hidden/shown
based on that filter in C.

Yup. Understood.

If you really wanted to make choices for other columns, then
apply the filter to the whole range (all multiple columns) and
use the suggested code to hide the arrows you want hidden.

Both Dana's code and that link to Debra's code will work.

Thanks, Dave. I don't know why I couldn't get Debra's
code to work when I tried it two weeks ago, but I am
sure the error was at my end, not with her code. Even
though I'm still a "VBA infant," I am further along than
I was a couple of weeks ago, so I'll go look again and see
what I can learn from her stuff now. Much appreciated!

-dman-

Dallman Ross wrote:

In , Dave Peterson
spake thusly:

If you only want to see one arror--only apply
data|filter|autofilter to that single column. (I don't see the
point of autofiltering 12 columns and then hiding 11 arrows.)

I want to see one arrow in Column C, but I want to filter a
second column way over in Column Y, but only statically; not
interactively. Column C gets the interactive filter. So it's the
only arrow I want to see. It wouldn't be tragic if there was an
arrow on Column Y too, though.

If you want to see multiple arrows, but not in contiguous
columns, you can use the technique at Debra Dalgleish's site:

http://contextures.com/xlautofilter03.html#Hide

I saw that earlier (before asking here), and tried it; but
it seemed to me not to work for what I have in mind. I
believe I can't have AutoFilter on in non-contiguous regions.
I tried her technique to turn off arrows in the middle of
a region, but it didn't seem to work. Maybe I erred in
how I tried to apply the trick.

Alternatively, if I can just set up the filter in VBA for
Column Y, that would be just fine -- as long as I can also
interactively (with arrow) AutoFilter Column C later normally.

-dman-

Dallman Ross wrote:

Can auto-filter be engaged for a column, yet not have the
pull-down arrow showing? I'd prefer that. Or can one
mix advanced filtering and auto-filter?

I'm using auto-filtering across about 12 columns, but really
only need it actively on one; the others, I have it activated
in because I set something once and leave it alone thereafter.
I'd prefer not to have to stare at all the arrows.

-dman-