Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Otto Moehrbach Otto Moehrbach is offline

Default Blank cell is not blank

Thanks Dave. Otto
"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
There were some old Lotus shortcuts that excel will use (with that setting
toggled):

^asdf (will center asdf in the cell)
"asdf (will right justify asdf in the cell)

Otto Moehrbach wrote:

It appears that you hit it on the head. The cell contains a carrot
(Shift -
6). Perhaps that's a British version thing. I ran a loop with the code:
If i.Value="" Then i.ClearContents
through the used range and solved the problem. Thanks. Otto
"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
If the =len() formula returns a 0, then my bet is that you used to have
formula in those "blank" cells. They evaluated to "".

like: =if(a1=3,"",a1+7)

Then you did a copy|paste special|values.

This leaves the cell looking blank, but it's not.
(Try =isblank() against one of the offending cells.)

And you can see the "detritus" left behind by toggling a setting.

Tools|options|transition tab|check transition navigation keys.

You'll see an apostrophe in the formula bar with that cell selected.

===
I like this way to clean up that type of "blank" cell.

select the range (or the whole sheet)
edit|replace
what: (leave blank)
with: $$$$$ (some unique value--not used!)
Replace all

Then reverse it:
edit|replace
what: $$$$$ (that same value)
with: (leave blank)
Replace all

==
If you're using VBA, you could record a macro when you do those two
Edit|Replace
and plop that into your code to clean up that junk.

Otto Moehrbach wrote:

Excel XP & Win XP
This one is costing me hair.
I am helping an OP from England.
I am working with her file.
I narrowed down my problem so I can explain it simply and without
getting
into VBA.
I have a string of cells in a row that appear to be blank.
I select a cell to the left of my problem cell and do End - Right
arrow.
Excel stops at the problem cell, that appears to be blank.
I do =Len(That cell) and get zero.
I do =CountA(That cell) and get 1.
All the cells have Conditional Formatting as a function of row number
with a
format of color. Most of the "empty" cells act like empty cells. But
few, like my problem cell, do not.
The code "If ActiveCell.Value="" Then..." says it's True.
The code "If IsEmpty(ActiveCell.Value) Then... says its False.
I can do Edit - Clear - Contents and the problem is solved.
I know I can run a code that loops through all the cells in the used
range,
like:
If i.Value="" Then i.ClearContents
and solve this problem, but my question is: What is happening
with
that
cell? Thanks for your time. Otto

--