Jason Morin

Click on the worksheet, right-click and select View Code,
and paste in the macro below. It triggers off an entry
into B column:

Option Explicit

Dim RngAbov As Range
Dim MaxVal As Variant

With Target
If .Cells.Count 1 Then Exit Sub
If Intersect(.Cells, Me.Range("B:B")) Is Nothing Then
Exit Sub

Set RngAbov = Me.Range("a1", .Offset(-1, 0))

MaxVal = Application.Max(RngAbov)

Application.EnableEvents = False
.Offset(0, -1).Value = MaxVal + 1
.Offset(1, 0).Select