Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMay JMay is offline

Default Assign number to correct range

There is a function RANDBETWEEN(Bottom#,Top#) which may be a part of
the Tool-Pack_AddIn, But that is what you need.

With A1:A4 = 0, 500, 750, 1000
In Cell B2 enter =RANDBETWEEN(A1, A2) -- Copy down to B4

HTH

"blinton25" wrote in message
:

I have a range of numbers representing a culmalative total for a population
e.g:

1 500
2 750
3 1000

I then generate a sequence of random numbers, e.g 250, 800 etc. So if I get
250 it should appear beside 1 (since it is less than 500), and if I get 800
it should appear beside 1000 ((since it is less than 1000). Anyway to do this?

I have no problem with a solution that reads the random numbers generated
and then assigns them to the correct position