Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Default Conditional Formatting with Colours / Colors

Sorry, I had misread the required alternating shading earlier. My error.

Try David McRitchie's excellent page at:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/condfmt.htm

Scroll down about a 3rd of the page to:
Color Grouping with alternating colors (#grouping)

Applying it to your situation ..

Use a helper col D
In D1: 0
In D2, copied down:
=MOD(OFFSET($D2,-1,0)+OR($A2<OFFSET($A2,-1,0)),2)

Then CF formula applied with cols A to C selected:
=$D1=1
--
Max
Singapore
wrote in message
ups.com...
Thank you for the construct, but even when I use as template it's not
working. Also, there is an error, because what I am looking for would
be for:

Tree: shaded
Tree: shaded
Rose: unshaded