Jim Rech

I don't know why this is happening. Excel 2002 and Excel 2000 can certainly
share files. In fact Excel 97 through Excel 2003 use the same file format.
If a user makes a change to a local copy of the workbook and emails it to
the user of another Excel version, can he open it locally?

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP
"James Deland" wrote in message
| Situation,
|
| Group of 7 users, 4 running Windows 2000, Office 2000. 3 Running WinXP
pro
| with Office XP Pro. Problem occures when a user from the win2K group
creats
| and Excel documents and save sit on a shared drive. A user from the Win XP
| group then opens this document and alters the save it overwriting the
| orriginal. the Win2K user the attempts to open the document and an error
| occurs. Excel.exe has coused an error and will be closed. The file now
only
| can be opened successfully on a XP machine. I thought that Office XP was
| backwards compatable. I managed to rectify the problem by changing the
| default save format of office xp Excel to Microsoft 97/2000 -95/98 .
Can