Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier Roger Govier is offline

Default Help - Daughter

So optimal solution is 39 chairs and 17 tables
That should have read
So optimal solution is 39 chairs and 18 tables

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Roger Govier" wrote in message
Hi

Even without Solver (or Excel) this particular example presents a
fairly simple problem.
The most limiting resource is space - 75 sq feet.
Chairs generate $5 each, with 1 sq ft space hence 5$/sq ft
Tables generate $6 each, but require 2 sq ft hence 3$/sq ft.

First try maximising the item that returns the greatest value to the
most limiting resource.
This is chairs (stated to be 40 max) leaving 35 sq ft which would mean
that 17 tables could be purchased (and sold) which would generate $302
total profit.
This would only use 74 sq ft, so there is 1 sq ft slack.
Sacrificing 1 chair and thereby dropping profit by $5, would release
another 1sq ft and enable 1 more table with an increase of $6, lifting
total profit to $303.
So optimal solution is 39 chairs and 17 tables.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Newbie" wrote in message
Thanks Dave, I really appreciate your assistance.

I know nothing of "Solver" so this should help!

Daughters :) I thought I was done with Story Problems

"Dave F" wrote:

You should start your research he
http://www.solver.com/tutorial.htm

You also should make sure you have Solver installed on your excel
installation. To check if you do, go to Tools menu and see if
Solver is an
option. If it is, it is installed. If not, you need to install it,
likely
via the Office installation CDs (or if you're using a
company-supplied
version of XL, via your company's network).

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Newbie" wrote:

Dave it does....It states test your knowledg of Solver to create a
worksheet
finding a product mix for a furniture store that maximizes profits
subject to
constraints of floor space.

"Dave F" wrote:

"Optimal solution" leads me to believe the question is asking
you to use
Excel's Solver tool. Does it make any mention of that?

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Newbie" wrote:

Thanks for your responses - She forgot to show me a couple of
things :)

She needs to create an Orders worksheet containing an income
statement as
well as an estimate on the amount of space the tables and
chairs will take up
in the display area.

Based on the information we know that the number of tables and
chairs
ordered must be greater then 0 and less than 40, and the total
cost is equal
to $280.And also the total space taken up must be less than or
equal to 75
square feet.

But the question states to create an answer report detailing
the parameters
of the problem and the optimal solution.....I'm lost.

"Newbie" wrote:

My daughter is taking an excel class - she needs help with
this story problem
- can anyone assist us on getting her started.

Manager of furniture store is planning a sale. The store has
75 square feet
of space to display and stock merchandise. During the sale,
each table cost
$5, and retails for $11, and takes up two square feet of
space.

Each chair cost $4 and retails for $9 and takes up one
square foot of space.

The maximum amount allocated for purchasing the tables and
chairs for the
sale is $280.

The manager doesn't think she can sell more thean 40 chairs
but the demand
for the tables is unlimited.

We need to help determine how many table and chairs the
manager should
puchase in order to make the most profit.

Help - We hate story problems :)