Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre Ron Coderre is offline

Default How to copy into 1000s of cells?

It's a matter of personal preference for me....
I prefer to pre-select the destination range so I can see if I'll be doing
any damage before I paste. The Dbl-click method doesn't automatically take
you to the end of the paste range, so I always feel compelled to go check it
anyway.

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"skatonni via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

Ron

One more method. If there are existing values in the column or an adjacent
column, double-clicking the fill handle will do the job.

Ron Coderre wrote:
First, an Excel usage tip:
When you copy/paste, it's ok for the paste range to include the source cell
This example copies cell A1 and pastes down through cell A3:
Copy A1
Shift-Click on cell A3
Press [enter]

Next....for your situaion....maybe one of these will help:

If you need to paste down through a series of cell with existing values:
Copy A1
Hold down the [shift] key
....press [end]
....press [down]
Release the [shift] key
Press [enter]

OR....use a range name...
Select from A1:A5000
In the NameBox, type: rngDestination
Press [enter]
(That creates the range name)

Copy A1
Press [F5].....that's the shortcut for <edit<go to
Select: rngDestination
Click [OK]
(that selects rngDestination)
Press [enter]

Something you can work with?
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

Suppose I put a formula into A1, and I want to "copy down" through
A5000. What is the easiest way to do that?

[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]
and shift-click the cell in order to highlight the range A2:A5000, then
paste. But that does not seem to work. (I am using Office Excel 2003.)