Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Elkar Elkar is offline

Default How can I alphabetize data excluding words like "a" and "the"?

Here's one option that might work for you. Let's say your titles are in
column A. Insert a new column B and enter this formula:

=IF(LEFT(A1,2)="a ",MID(A1,3,LEN(A1)),IF(LEFT(A1,4)="the
",MID(A1,5,LEN(A1)),A1))

Copy the formula down through column B as needed. Then, when you sort, sort
by column B. You can also hide column B if you want.

HTH,
Elkar

"Faith" wrote:

I'm cataloging a list of movies, and I'd like to be able to alphabetize the
titles ignoring words like "a" and "the." Is this possible?