Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
4pinoy 4pinoy is offline

Default Nested Function

after some sleep it look like this ?
The lowest grade is dropped,
and the remaining 3 are averaged to give the grade.
Formula condition to filled in amounts on 4 cells.
If one cell is blank means no amount....means grades incomplete and not
satisfied the averaging criteria...
HENCE : average grade
=IF(OR(B4="",C4="",D4="",E4=""), "INCOMPLETE GRADE NOT
VERIFIED",(SUM(B4:E4)-MIN(B4:E4))/3)

for visual effects on B4
click formatconditional formattingformula
tYpe in ) =B4=""
Click format Patterns click gray color
Copypaste from B4 to E4
gray means no amount or value

Note : A "0" typed in any cell means an amount.....

hope u dont need a bunch of nesting formula....

"mrfrenchy" wrote:

Hi, I am trying complete a project where I need to use nested functions. The
scenario is I have 4 amounts that are grades. The lowest grade is dropped,
and the remaining 3 are averaged to give the grade. I have to use the SUM,
MIN and COUNT function within the same cell address to get the answer.
Here is where I'm stuck...
=SUM(B4:E4)-MIN(B4:E4)
I'm not sure how to use the COUNT function to give me a 3 since all 4 cells
will have amounts? Plus how will I get the above to give me an average? ANy
help appreciated so I can sleep. :-)