Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dallman Ross Dallman Ross is offline

Default Dates won't stay formated

In ,
marketerinco spake thusly:

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, it does not help me
because the only way to import into the email system is to have
mm/dd/yyyy as the formatted data. I have to get rid of the
"serial number"

Enter your date as '01/01/03 (with the leading apostrophe)
in your cell, then.

But frankly, I am not convinced you have a problem that
formatting alone can't fix.

======================================
"Gord Dibben" wrote:

37622 is the serial number of the date.

That's how Excel stores dates.

See Chip Pearson's site for info on serial dates.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datetime.htm#SerialDates

Perhaps you can manipulate the field format in your email
program?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 15:36:02 -0800, marketerinco
wrote:

Excel is doing some crazy conversion so that a date shows a
number value not the formated value. For example Excel has
this as the date 37622 instead of it's actual result which
should be 01/01/2003

When you are looking at the spreadsheet it looks right but on
the backside there is this number value that I can't get rid
of.

"Niek Otten" wrote:

< I can successfuly do that but the program we use for our
email is seeing the code.

-- Kind regards,

Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel