Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Rech Jim Rech is offline

Default Excel Beta 2TR Bug in Vlookup?

I entered your formula in Excel 2007 and did a regular copy and paste one
column to the right. The E$3 became F$3 as it should.

Incidentally your formula could be written to compute more efficiently,
particularly if you are going to copy it many times. The problem is that
your formula creates a dependency on 47 columns when all it really depends
on need is 2 (column E and column AM, the 35th):

=INDEX($AM$3:$AM$65536,MATCH(E$42,IData!$E$3:$E655 36,FALSE))

If you do not have data going to row 65536 you might pick up efficiency by
referencing the rows that will actually have data.

--
Jim
"Deb Plosk77" wrote in message

In copying this formula:

=VLOOKUP(E$42,IData!$E$3:$AY$65536,35,FALSE)

from one column to another, regular copy and paste, it treats e$42 as if
it
is $e$42. If I copy and paste special, formulas and number formats, it
will
update the column reference correctly.

Does anyone know if this is a known bug? Do you have this problem as
well?
Not sure where to post possible problems so thought I'd try here as well
as
mailing MS directly.

Thank you,
Deb