Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Teethless mama Teethless mama is offline

Default How to find and highlight common text in multiple columns

Based on your example

A1=Boats, B1=Fishing Boats, C1=Bass Fishing Boats

In A2 =A1
In B2 =TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(B1,A2,""))
In C2 =SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(C1,A2,""),B2,"")

"ToExcelAtExcel" wrote:

I have three columns as follows:

A B
1 Boats Fishing Boats Bass Fishing Boats
2 Boats Fishing Boats Inshore Sal****er
Fishing
3 Boats Fishing Boats Offshore
Sal****er Fishing
4 Boats Fishing Boats Other Freshwater
Fishing

I want to find and highlight if the text value in cell A2 is repeated in
cell B2 and C2 and if text value in cell B2 is repeated in the cell C2. So in
the above case, I want the word "Boats" in B2 and C2 highlighted and I want
the word "Fishing" in C2 highlighted. The goal is identify redundancy:

Old
----
A B
1 Boats Fishing Boats Bass Fishing Boats
New
----
A B
1 Boats Fishing Bass

I have hundreds of records and the values in cell A1:A900 changes so I can't
hardcode the text in the conditioning formatting statement. Any advice is
welcome! Thanks!