Arvi Laanemets

Hi

"...that will give me a resulting list in which all of the numbers are at
least 40 or above."
So as I understood, she wants a list of different values. It isn't clear
from OP's message, how much different values in list will be - but it isn't
excluded, than for every original value a matching calculated value must be
given. Exactly what my formula does, in my opinion.

But really, the original message was somewhat messy, and allows different
interpretations - depending on which part of it you are concentrated (and
I'm afraid our 2 ones from this thread aren't all of them). I'm not saying
your answer is wrong, but we can't be sure, which one (when any of them) is,
what OP wanted, and there is no way to know it without her reporting back.

Arvi Laanemets

"Myrna Larson" wrote in message
I think your translation is faulty.

She said "I need to divide each of those numbers by the same number". I

don't
see any ambiguity in that statement. N is a constant. Every number in the

new
list

=OriginalNumber/N

That's not what you are doing. You are dividing 800 by 10, and 400 by 10,

but
you are dividing 100 by 2.5. N is 10 in the 1st 2 cases, 2.5 in the 3rd.

No! I'm dividing all numbers with 10, but when the result is less than 40
(another constant), a constant 40 is returned instead of quotient

10 < 2.5

That's not what she said she wanted.

BTW, the formula I proposed for calculating N gives the SMALLEST possible
value of N. Any number, x, where 0 < x <=N will also suffice.

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 12:54:49 +0200, "Arvi Laanemets"

wrote:

Hi

wrote in message
roups.com...

What number? Judy wrote: "I have a list of numbers.
I need to divide each of those numbers by the same
number ("N") that will give me a resulting list in
which all of the numbers are at least 40 or above."

Translation: Judy wants to find an N such that when
each number in a list is divided by N, the result of
the division will be no less than 40.

My translation: Judy wants to create a new list of numbers, where every
value is N times less than previous one, but not less than 40, i.e. when
N=10 and old value was 800, then the new one will be 80, when old value

was
400, the new value is 40, but when old value is p.e. 100, then the new

value
will be 40 again.
Of-course OP has to copy mu formula to range (down the column).