Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default Need help implementing EPA rounding method

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 05:53:02 -0800, Will S. <Will
wrote:

This question concerns the environmental field. The EPA recommends a method
of rounding which is statistically more accurate than the method we all
learned in elementary school. Basically, if the tenth digit is .5, you do
not simply round up, but rather round to the nearest EVEN whole number.

Ex:
1.5 = 2
10.5 = 10 (not 11)

The rule only makes a difference when the tenth digit is .5 . Using the IF
statement, I think I can create a spreadhseet function that evaluates a
number, and rounds to the even digit or rounds normally based on that
evaluation. In order for this to work, however, I need Excel to only
evaluate the first digit after the decimal point. The trouble is, I don't
know how to get Excel to do this.

I'm hoping that a simple manipulation of an existing function will solve
this since our network may kick out an attempt to use a macro.

Any help on this problem would be appreciated.

Perhaps:

=INT(A1+MOD(INT(A1),2)*MOD(A1,1))

--ron