Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Teethless mama Teethless mama is offline

Default inserting a dash into a column of numbers

LEFT(A1,5) instead of LEFT(A1,3)

"ufo_pilot" wrote:

=IF(LEFT(A1,5)<"",LEFT(A1,3)&"-"&RIGHT(A1,2))

"pm" wrote:

Hello all. I would like to insert a "-" into a column of numbers after the
5th digit each time. The 1st 5 digits will not always be the same, obviously
and there are either 6 or 7 digits total in each number.

I was trying to do this via find and replace, but I can't seem to figure out
a good way.

For example: 7000111 I would like to be 70001-11

Thanks in advance!!!!