Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Sorting&Computing results

First, a stupid typo on my part!

Data|Text to columns

should read
Data|Pivottable
(stupid fingers sometimes type what they want!)

Select your range on the detail tab to create the pivottable.

Select the date field on the pivottable to group by year.

kyoshirou wrote:

Hi Dave,

I have to select my range from the detail tab or new tab? I have to select
every single column is it?
I am unable to find my Layout button, followed by
drag the Class button to the row field
drag the date button to the column field
drag the Marks button and drag to the data field

I only can see something like Delimiters -- Tab, semicolon, comma, space,
other.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Select your range (Include the header row)
Data|Text to columns
follow the wizard until you get to a step with a Layout button on it.
click that layout button
drag the Class button to the row field
drag the date button to the column field
drag the Marks button and drag to the data field

Finish up the wizard.

Rightclick on any of the dates.
select Group and Show Detail
Then check Group
and group by years (and remove any that excel guessed)

With your sample data, I ended up with:

Sum of Makrs Date
Class 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 Grand Total
A 50 10 60
B 30 30
C 30 30
D 40 20 60
E 20 20
F 50 40 90
G 50 20 20 90
Grand Total 90 50 80 60 50 50 380

kyoshirou wrote:

Hi All,
Is me again.. having some problems.
Do help me, thanks!

Trying to create something like this:
Let say I have a set of records running disorder from class
A,B,C,D,E,F,G,etc and marks range from 10,20,30,40,50. from years
2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006.

Now, i trying to create a new table (mayb in a new tag) to store combine
total marks for that particular year for each A,B,C,D,E,F,G.

For example:

Class Date Makrs
A 5-aug-06 10
A 5-aug-05 20
B 5-aug-03 30
C 5-aug-02 30
D 5-aug-01 40
D 5-aug-04 20
G 5-aug-06 20
A 5-aug-05 30
E 5-aug-06 20
F 5-aug-04 40
G 5-aug-02 20
G 5-aug-01 50
F 5-aug-03 50

after sorting the table can look like this:

Year |2000|2001|2002|2003|2004|2005|2006|
Total

any way just using the excel inside or do i have to use visua basic?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson